Well, add one more to the list of people who think I'm British. It's getting lengthy - I may have to start wearing koala t-shirts or something! But that would be drastic. Maybe I should just work on Irwinising my accent a bit... ;-)
I missed the first Friday Drinks With Linguists today, because I was running around all day frantically trying to get to non-existant classes and things like that, and I zonked out. Oh well - there's always next week. And at least now I have time to get my head together before I go out tonight. It's The Other Aussie (Ben)'s 30th birthday, so I certainly can't miss that.
It is official that Formal Foundations is my favourite subject, even though I don't understand anything about the content at all. Mike Hammond kills me. There's one mathematician in the class, who gets all sorts of grief, and on Thursday Mike was repeatedly refering to me as a "little muffin" - in view of my status as a brand-new grad student. The whole class is just The Mike Show, it's completely hilarious.
Also, have I said how weird it is that ALL of my phonology assessment will be group work this semester? Luckily my main group, with whom I'll be doing the regular Short Term Projects, seems pretty cool so far. Adam tried to give us a range of types, so interspersed the undergrads amongst grad students of different backgrounds, so with me are Chen-chun, from Taiwan, who's doing a combined Ling/Anth PhD, and Lance, our token skatey-boy undergrad. So far we're doing ok, but first project is due Thursday, so I guess the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak.
Oh, and there are textbook woes... but I'll be woeful another day!
3 comments:
I think you need to come up with a standard reply to the "What part of England are you from?" question. Something like "the colonies". Don't even think about showing that picture of me with a brolly to Heidi and Andrew (he says, knowing she now will). Glad to hear you're having a time and that your talents are being recognised already.
Hey Rob - I think I shall try that! Although to be fair, the lone Kiwi boy here has an even worse time of it than I do, accent-wise.
And I suppose I could reluctantly be persuaded not to show around photos of you being a Lady... perhaps a cute pic of you with Sam would be an acceptable alternative?
Which reminds me! All you people with babies, I'm going to need update photos from time to time, ok?
I used to answer 'south' to the "What part of Engand are you from". As people tried to guess, I would tell them to keep going south.
Your catch-22 hassles with money and social security numbers bring back many memories...
Post a Comment