It's very inconvenient that just as I have time to sleep in, and hang around in the flat reading books and cooking and doing things of that nature, I've had maintenance people wandering in and out. AND of course the work they have to do is in the loungeroom and MY bathroom - it couldn't be affecting any of the other girls' rooms, could it, since they're all gone? No, of course not. Has to be me. Took me a bit by surprise, too, so had all sorts of people wandering through my post-finals, floor-filing mess. Sigh. And me standing around in my pajamas feeling embarrassed. Ah well.
So, I've had to be out of the flat the last few days to let the painter do his thing, and that's been a little tricky. It's hard to find places to go by yourself without spending money. I tried sitting under a tree reading, but had to leave because of some random creepy guy who kept wandering by to talk to me. (I swear I saw him pissing against a building earlier, too! Delightful.) And reading in the bookshop always sounds like a good idea, but for some reason it makes me incredibly sleepy!
Anyway. Done now. And I have a day to get things sorted out in the flat before Justine arrives.
The whole reading-fiction thing has been very excited, but I'm starting to think uneasily about the work-related stuff I should be doing. Oh well. I ordered my textbooks for next semester, so I could feel productive without having to actually do anything work-like. We're using Claire Bowern's new book for the field methods class, I'm very excited!
I got all my grades in. No nasty surprises - phew! Had a bit of a chat with Heidi, too, about how I went in her class, and where I wanted to go. She was very helpful. It's always interesting to get hints of people's preconceived assumptions about oneself, too... Hm. Anyway, that was quite good and I'm hopeful that she'll agree to be my advisor net year.
I should probably try and have a similar chat with Adam sometime, about how I did in phonology. Maybe after New Years.
Anyway. Christmas seems to be alarmingly close, and it occurs to me now that there should perhaps be some decorating of my horribly boring little flat. The lounge, especially, looks tragically unloved and unlived in. The other girls never bothered to bring back a lot of stuff from last year, like a tv or phone or anything that would brighten up the living area, so I think I'll take some steps while I have the place to myself. I already got the phone. Maybe some prints would be nice... And lights!
But the real question is... plain little white fairy lights, or chili lights??
No comments:
Post a Comment