Monday, February 4, 2008

Nifty Technology

So we just had a lecture on phonetics for the first-year undergrad linguistics class I TA for (INDV 101, for future reference). Not for the first time, but perhaps more than usually, I was struck by just how much bigger and better equipped the ling department over here is - and it's not that big, by US standards! But today's lecture was made really, really fun and cool by the use of a portable ultrasound thingummy to show tongue position in the production of different sounds. Awesome!

On a completely different note, apparently Saturday was Groundhog Day, and apparently the little bugger saw his damn shadow. 6 more weeks of winter! And of course Tucson has picked today to actually live up to that for a change... it's grey and rainy and windy and positively chilly! Now, I don't object to rain in the desert, I just object to being personally soggy!

Oh well. It IS the perfect excuse to go make myself an egg mcmuffin and milo...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so how does England sound when MH says it?

Oh and practice on the stationary bike at the gym - it will get the right muscles used to their new role!

xx Laena

Anonymous said...

I have to admit there are quite a lot of English people who say En-g-land (if that's what you mean). Usually it's shouted out at soccer matches that way. Not sure I've ever heard En-g-lish though.

Received a bucket of flapjacks this week, care of a colleague who went to London for the weekend. Very buttery, very evil!
Justine

alex said...

He says it like "ING-land" (as opposed to 'ing-gland').

And I have been practising on the stationary bike. The main difference is that the real one isn't stationary - hence the wobbling! ;-)

Mmm, flapjacks... A BUCKET, you say??