Saturday, March 22, 2008

SPRING BREAK!!!!!

... is almost over. Woe! I have lots of work still to do, but I have had a lovely time of it. It is currently almost 3.30 in the morning, and if I knew what was good for me I would have been in bed asleep hours ago (because getting back into my morning routine next week is going to be a bitch) but I had a kick-arse night tonight, so I don't care.

Jae Hoon, one of the only 2 other internationals in my year, is into bowling. Apparently so is Dainon (one of the locals, also in my year) and they organised a bowling night tonight. Only two other linguists made it, but I dragged Jelena along, and 2 of Dainon's buddies came too. (They and Jae Hoon played on the 'serious' lane, while Jelena, Jeff, Sunjing and I faffed about on the other.) We had a ball! I got a few tips, and I didn't suck as comprehensively as I thought I would.

Then Dainon, who plays pool obsessively, dragged us out to a pool hall. I have never, ever, had a good pool experience, but Dainon was very patient and did a little 'pool school' thing. He showed us where and how to hit the balls, and I was shocked when I actually sank the damn things! Won my game too - barely, but still! I was totally proud. ;-p

Anyway. Had LOADS of fun, way more than expected. Must do this sort of thing more often.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Pool's awesome hey! James beats me soundly whenever we play, but I still like it. I won once - when he accidentally sunk the black.

alex said...

Heh... yeah, I gotta admit, it's much more fun than previous experiences would indicate. Would be nice to know what I'm doing... I think I'll have to harass Dainon for more lessons!

Jessica said...

yeah, it actually gets a lot more funner when you understand how to use angles and rebounds and things like that. Were your previous experiences in bars by any chance?

Unknown said...

The two beer advantage is a well established phenomenon of pool, and indeed any game you can play in a bar.

The three beer downward spiral is also quite well understood.