So I STILL don't have a phone. At all. We have a line and a number in the apartment, but no actual phone yet, and I'm assured that my other flatmates have "everything" between them, so buggered if I'm going to buy one. What I really want is a mobile phone. I want a prepaid for two reasons - 1 is that I don't have to get a credit check, and since I have no US credit history, I'd have to pay a hefty deposit to get a phone with a plan, and probably need a Social Security Number too, which I don't have yet. The 2nd is that I'm cheap, and I don't want to commit to $40+ a month. So I've found ONE phone provider that doesn't charge ridiculous "daily access fees" for prepaid - but so far, I've had no bloody joy trying to get the actual phone! I could order online, which is the cheapest option, but they require a credit card billing address and are not set up to deal with non-US addresses, so that doesn't work. Today I even trekked about 2 miles to a shop, only to find that they had a single (crappy) prepaid phone in the store, and the activation code wasn't working! Grrr... Am almost at wits end. Charlie and I are going to attempt to find one of the malls tomorrow, and I will get a damn phone there if it kills me!
On the plus side, I have successfully applied for a Social Security Number, although it will take SIX WEEKS to arrive. Bloody beaurocrats...
Went out for drinks up the road tonight, and discovered that now that the semester is about to start, they're getting really thingy about what ID they'll accept at the bars - most places will now only take passports, if you don't have Arizona state ID. Not the sort of thing most of us would carry on a night out, but I guess we'll have to from now on! Also, the bar we were at first called last drinks at all of 9.30pm!
Of course then we just went to the Irish pub where they were open much later, and didn't seem too fussy about the origins of our IDs at all. They even accepted my expired driver's license.
Tomorrow, on our shopping trip, Charlie has promised to introduce me to something called Cinnabuns (?) which are apparently hot and sweet and delicious and evil... Hmm. Lucky there's a gym downstairs! After that, I have LingCircle orientation, where I will meet the other linguistics grad students. Finally! But suddenly I'm feeling a bit nervous - whatever shall I wear?! ;-)
3 comments:
cinnabuns....yep have heard about the evil sin that these are.
crap about the red tape, and lack of phone. Here's to it resolving soon
Purple, of course!
Jeans and a t-shirt, girl! Actually you should probably make that shorts and a t-shirt.
Post a Comment