Monday, August 20, 2007

Some firsts

Wow, what a busy blogging day it's been...

Had my first syntax class with Heidi today. Looks like it will be quite fun, but I think it's going to go quite fast. Hmm. And bugger the timing, but she's decided to experiment this semester with making us write notes, instead of getting printed ones! D'oh!

Oh well. Guess I won't be moving from the front row anytime soon. And no option to be vain and leave my glasses off! ;-p

I'm also going to be the first person to do a "mystery construction" - ie, give a 15 minute talk on a topic of interest, but one that we don't have time to cover in the rest of the course. I got ergative-absolutive case-marking. Score! I can find lots of fun Australian examples for that! Anyone want to give some specific examples/sources you think would be especially good, be my guest.

I also tried to cook spaghetti bolognaise tonight... now, that's not exactly a first, although it was the first time here. I used a bottled sauce, because I couldn't find all the ingredients I wanted (tomato paste? where?) but it didn't really work out. Damn, and that's such a reliable staple for me, too! The sauce was too sweet, and not red enough. And I didn't have any wine or anything either, and not enough fresh herbs. Sigh. Don't suppose anyone has a really good from-scratch recipe they wanna forward for me to try? Pretty please?

I also wasted a whole bunch of ink printing out some favourite photos today, since I finally got my printer connected. Hooray! Tomorrow I'm going to get some card and make photo posters! Also, I just discovered that my boxes have arrived, although I'm a touch too late to go collect them from the office - will do so tomorrow after class. I have early mornings on Tues and Thurs - 8am! Ugh. That's for Formal Foundations of Linguistics with Mike Hammond, then at 11 on those days I have Phonology with Adam Ussishkin. (I hope I spelled that right - can't quite be bothered to check right now.) Hope they're both as promising as Syntax, but it might be a bit of an ask... ;-)

Ok, I'm gonna do one more post with some pics, then stop spamming the blog and go do some reading or something.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

To combat too much sweetness, I just add lots of salt!! Probably not good advice! Betty gave you her lasagne recipe in the UQ linguists and office ladies cookbook - that would probably have bolognese from scratch? But if I recall correctly, B hides pesky vegetables in hers! I'll e-mail you my recipe - don't blame me if you get a heart attack! (Actually, I don't think it's too unhealthy...)

Unknown said...

And we all know you're vain! :P

Karen said...

ergative-absolutive case-marking. Score! I can find lots of fun Australian examples for that! Anyone want to give some specific examples/sources you think would be especially good, be my guest.

I could, but you may need to hum a few bars for me :)

As for the recipe, I've got one somewhere that uses tin tomatoes instead. By the looks of it though lara's got you covered

Jessica said...

I have so much ergative-absolutive data (contrasting with nominative-dative data in lowered transitivity situations) that it feels like its TAKING OVER MY LIFE! Please, take some off me! What do you want - I seem to have lots of wife-beater (and husband-beater and dog-beater) sentences - since somebody has obviously decided that 'hit' is as transitive as you can get. But I could find you some nicer ones. I'll have a look through and see if I can find you something fun.

Anonymous said...

I totally understand the 'too sweet' thing. My Spag Bol has just tinned tomatoes, red wine, bay leaf, meat, onion and carrot (celery is good too but Rod won't have it in the house).

Leave it to slow cook for about 3 hours. You don't need tomato paste then.

keep cool!

PS. Pick a language/languages that have wild splits in ergativity patterns. Kala Lagaw Ya is pretty wild from memory