Damnit!! So just after I get done reminding myself how they're all done with my apartment and I can finally start getting it organised... guess who turns up again this morning, while I'm still wandering around in my pajamas?
SIGH.
So it's possible that my disappointment/annoyance was a little unfairly evident to poor Donald, who is painting my walls. I feel bad, because he seems nice enough in a perpetually startled kind of way. But I am, let's be honest, a little annoyed at this stage. It's just as well I wasn't gung-ho enough to start rearranging furniture etc last night.
So, here I am, back in the Linguistics graduate space, aka 'the cave'. (It actually is moderately cave-like, since it has no proper windows, just glass brick things, and is sort of down in basementy directions.) Well, at least there's computers here, and couches. And an occasional linguist drops by. And I suppose I really could go to the library and do real work... :-/
Oh and its cold and rainy again. Just to make being out of the house a REAL joy. (Yes, now I'm just being whiny, I know! I'll be less sulky when I've finished my coffee, I promise.)
In other news, young Master Garry, He With Two Rs In His Name, writes the most entertaining, and vaguely bewildering, group emails of all time. Merry Christmas, Gazz! I hope Sydney has been behaving itself for you.
Oh, one more minor irritation, then I swear I'll stop bitching - I ordered a parcel from Amazon, which has not arrived. This wouldn't be a massive problem, except I added a muffin tin to the order, because they were cheaper than at Safeway, and Jus and I were going to make Yorkshire puddings. Order was supposed to be here Monday, and hasn't arrived, so I checked the UPS tracking thing on the website. It was in Tucson on Monday. For some reason, they failed to deliver it, and rather than leaving the parcel in Tucson and trying again the next day... Well, I believe it's somewhere in Kansas now! Bloody hell! The logic utterly escapes me.
Ok, I'm done. In happy news (sorta?) the owner/manager and the girl who makes the good coffee at my favourite little corner coffee shop / slightly high-end market, appear to be getting very used to my appearances. They start making my latte practically as soon as I walk in now. Yesterday, I wandered past the shop, checking out some roadworks, and when I turned and came back in they exclaimed "You walked PAST us! What happened? We thought you were abandoning us!" And gave me a free cookie. ;-)
And yes, THAT is actually as exciting as it's gotten this week... Ah, the giddy heights of excitement that is Tucson in the holidays! Hopefully there'll be more to report next week. I plan to walk Justine's feet off, and finally see a bit more of the town!
Happy holidays, all!
5 comments:
I have to agree with you, Garry sends the best emails EVA! I keep on wanting to show people, it cracked me up ;-)
Btw, I say enjoy your break and don't do too much work, I'm sure you'll be up to your eyeballs again before too long!
I know I'm weird, but we always make Yorkshire pudding as one big thing, and then cut it into bits. So maybe if your tray doesn't arrive, you could just make it in a lamington type tin, if you've got one?
And you're drinking lattes now? Is there something lost in translation? Or am I just out of the loop?
Beth - I plan to enjoy my break, but I do want to get a little ahead for next semester if I can, especially since I start TAing then...
Lara - you're right about the big pudding, but I just like things individual-sized!
And they don't have flat whites here. If you want white espresso-based coffee, you order latte by default. Unless you order cappuccino, but levels of foam vary widely, as do notions of what is appropriate to sprinkle on top, if anything.
Garry's hilarity must be rubbing off on you cause that was a funny post (or maybe I'm just delirious with flu drugs?).
Happy Festivus!
I would be wary challenging Justine to a game of walk-your-feet-off, I seem to remember she was highly accomplished at it!
Post a Comment