Friday, December 14, 2007

Breathing.

Ok. Well. It's Friday, and I got the Syntax paper in by the skin of my teeth. Heidi was heading out of town today, not sure what time, so fingers crossed she got it in time and/or can check email wherever she's going, and will kindly submit a grade for me...

I really, really never want to go through that again!

So it turns out that either my logic board or my power source fried. (In a weird coincidence, another iBook, same model and year, fried the same day... Hmm.) I had done the rounds of usual computer help types on campus and was all set to go home for a bit of a cry before trying to find out how to get to a big, expensive, soulless apple store off campus, when I ran into Jennifer, who is the graduate coordinator in my department and a star and an angel and my absolute saviour. She put me onto the department tech guys, who are technically only supposed to work on university machines, but one of whom, Kellen, agreed to work on my computer extra-curricularly.

He literally had to take the whole thing apart. Took hours. Was kinda cathartic though, in a way. Anyway, so eventually, when my latop was spread in little pieces across the office, he pulled the hard drive and thankfully it was fine. He was able to make a disk image of my hard drive, save everything, and load it all onto a new computer.

Of course, that meant that I had to buy a new computer.

My god, I'm so broke now! I think I can pay the next months rent, and if I'm very frugal, eat as well, until I start getting paid again on Jan 18. *deep breaths*

ANYWAY. So. Paper in, theoretically in time. Have computer, so can communicate with outside world. Am very, very poor, but not starving (yet). Things could definitely be worse.

Funnily enough, been really quite homesick this last week or so!

Anyway, there's a linguistics party tonight at Sylvia's so that should be cheering! I made cupcakes with the pile of bananas going brown on my bench, since that was about all I had to work with. I shall try eggnog for the first time, even though it sounds DISGUSTING. It has to be done. And... this weekend I am going to sleep. Full nights of sleep. And read - fiction! And clean my flat, which is at the stage where a bomb going off would probably improve things. And sleep. And breathe.

2 comments:

Karen said...

so did you go with another ibook?

alex said...

I got a MacBook, the new model. Twice the RAM, four times the HD space. And I got a Leopard OS disk, which has a new application called Time Machine, which is apparently a sort of auto-backup system. So next purchase will be a cheap external hard drive to back up to...

oh and I got a 3-year AppleCare warranty for free. Because if I'd had that before, I might'nt now be out US$1,200, or thereabouts...