Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Debacles, dilemmas, decisions.

Well. That's three - or is it four? - times in the last 2 weeks that I've had to get up and talk in front of a class. And thank god that's over, for a while at least. Now, talking in class is usually not a problem for me. And given the amount of teaching I've done in the last few years, standing in front of a class talking shouldn't be a problem either... And yet, somehow, it is. Charlie says it's a control thing, and she's probably right. Teaching, I'm nominally in control of my 'audience' in a sense - I decide what and how I'm going to say and for how long. Doing a class presentation for assessment is really not the same thing at all, and it's quite a horrible experience. Blech.

Anyway. Bygones.

Registration for next semester's classes opens on the 13th. Eep! Already? I'm having a few dilemmas about what to take. I'm supposed to be getting core requirements out of the way (I'm supposed to take an intro course from each of five sub-branches) but the only such course being offered is for Computational Ling, and I'm pretty sure that's the one sub-discipline that I want to skip. Make that very sure. Ugh. So... That leaves me with the next Syntax course, which I pretty much have to take, because it's my major. And then I have a bunch of other options, from which I can select two.

One is History of Phonology. It's not the logical sequel to this semester's Phonology course - but I could do it instead. And Adam is teaching it again and he's nice. I might need to know if there's going to be more group work though! But maybe I'd be better off taking Phonology II or Phonetics for my Phon requirement? Hmm.

The next one, which looks a bit exciting, is Elicitation and Documentation and involves working with a native speaker informant. Sounds fun, and Heidi is teaching it... Only reservations that I have are that a) the language will be Gaelic, because of speaker availability. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but a native american language would've been cool... And b) there's also the issue that I don't know if I should've done more phonetics or something before I take this. I guess I should ask Heidi!

Other possibilities are - Sociolinguistics, which is run through the Anthropology department, and should be usable for my Minor requirements (probably elicitation and documentation is too). Also Pragmatics - but it's run through Philosophy, which makes me wary. Same problem for Intro to Cog. Sci. Also, I'm not sure if I can use either of these to fulfill minor, major or core requirements! (Alas, there is just not enough scope to do every subject that looks fun and interesting! I could do about three PhDs if it was just a matter of taking exciting courses...) Then there's language acquisition and development, which is through Speech, but might count towards my Psycholinguistics requirement. And there's always the Syntax seminar, which I have to do at some point - but it's a research class, and that will probably be more useful further down the track.

So. Decisions!

But first, I have to decide what to make for dinner... I'm thinking palak paneer...

16 comments:

Jessica said...

I had palak paneer last night (and today for lunch)! Twas yummalicious.

There are so many requirements that you have to fulfill - it seems very structured. I'd be jumping up and down for the elitication one. I understand your disappointment about the native american language, but cmon, it's Gaelic!!! Possibly the sexiest language EVAH

Unknown said...

I don't know why everyone's so excited by palak paneer. I prefer spinach and MEAT (saag gost (sp?)), but that's just me. French cheese, yes, Indian cheese, meh.

As for your courses, well, I'm libran, and I think the indecisiveness gets stronger around birthday time, so I can't help you at all. I'm not sure I share Jess' views on Gaelic, but that course does sound fantastic no matter what the language! Do you have quite a while to choose still, or is it a first in best dressed kind of thing?

Unknown said...

By the way, you're really good at presentations, even if you feel nervous etc beforehand - no-one can tell! I'm sure you were fabulous!

alex said...

Thanks, Lara! That's really nice to hear, cuz I felt a bit crap about them... :-)

I love palak paneer. I'll take almost any nationalities cheese! Mmm, cheese.

I have pretty much decided that unless Heidi tells me I don't have enough phonetics, I'm gonna take the elicitation subject. It just looks like too much fun! I dunno about Gaelic being the sexiest language EVAH... but I do like Scottish accents! Hmm... ;-)

Beth said...

Hmmm, so if you do the elicitation subject, what would be your second choice?

alex said...

Ah, well therein lies the real dilemma! At the moment, I'm thinking it's between Sociolinguistics and History of Phonology, but I might have to try and talk to a few relevant professors before I make the final decision... ;-)

Unknown said...

hmmmm... maybe... Welsh is pretty hot too. European Spanish is probably top of the list however, but that's just me.

History of Phonology? I'm falling asleep just thinking about it. Again, that's just me. I can fall asleep thinking about just about anything come to that...

What the hell is Palak Paneer? I gather it's cheesy, and it sounds Indian. I've never really come across anything Indian and cheesy.

Well... Bollywood maybe...

alex said...

Palak paneer is a spinach and cheese dish - yes, Indian. It's very good, try it next time you're eating out. ;-)

Now if Welsh were being offered, I'd definitely be up for it! But, in terms of accented English, I'll still pick the Scots - they don't have the nice melody, but they have that fabulous trilled r! (I watched Taggert for YEARS just to listen to the Glaswegians say "murrrrrderr"!)

Anonymous said...

Jane:

Go with the Anthropology subject (not that I am bias!)

alex said...

You, biased? Of course not! ;-)

But actually, I am leaning in that direction right now. Want to go find an anthropologist to talk to about minor requirements first, but we'll see how I go.

Btw, Jane, are you not getting my emails again? Or are you just not replying - I've sent two, and haven't heard back, and then your last comment on my blog made me think you maybe hadn't got them at all...

Unknown said...

Will you promise to make this indian cheesy dish when I come to visit? I've only had sag aloo (which is spinach and potato and bloody good).
Will have to tell my Irish friends you lot think Gaelic is sexy, they will be well chuffed
Justine

alex said...

I can probably manage that, Jus...

Um, but maybe hold off on telling your Irish friends, cuz in this instance I think we're dealing with Scots Gaelic - someone could get hurt over these kinds of confusions! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I guess you know my two cents worth. Go and talk to Norma Mendoza-Denton in Anthro (and you can mention that you are the Oz girl I said would be showing up on their doorstep). Your sociolinguistics experience will be quite something new....

alex said...

Oh, that's brilliant Ilana, thank you! I was wondering how to decide which of the ling-anth people I should go talk to. Even better if I can do a little judicious name-dropping. ;-)

Frankly, after this morning's phonology class, I think my mind is made up anyway - sociolinguistics it is!

Anonymous said...

Jane:
No Ally, I have not received any emails from you in ages.

Unknown said...

hey alex am sending you a parcel today, is there any home comforts you want me to include. laena