Monday, December 3, 2007

Rambling update

Well, I spent two days in bed and now I feel better. Yay!
I also missed two days of classes and am now horribly behind in my schedule of final paper production. Boo!

However. Heidi is still a star and a legend and has given me an extension for her final as well, once more above and beyond what I asked for. I'm pretty sure that qualifies her for a cupcake, but since I don't have a proper mixer, the brownies I took to class today will have to do. Hopefully I have enough to take some to my other classes tomorrow as well, although spreading them that far does make the portion sizes rather small... I had made a double mix, but I baked them in two separate dishes, and one lot cooked properly and the other one didn't, so I lost a lot. Sigh. Still, they contain a fairly obscene amount of chocolate, so small portions is probably a good thing!

Yes, I'm aware that I'm complaining about having too little time, and yet I'm taking time to bake. Hush. The baking helps with the stress, ok? And it also helps with the buttering up of lecturers when you need an extension...

Did some fairly harried and limited Xmas shopping, since a friend of Laena's is in town and can take some stuff home for me. I tried to get little stuff, just for the family, but I'm a bit worried about how much is ok to ask him to take. It's like - one SMALL plastic shopping bag of stuff. I hope it's ok. Postage between here and Oz is killer.

I am getting no sleep again tonight. Sigh. It's my own fault... I am doing the write-up of our last (finally!) group project for phonology. Have gotten 100% for every other piece for this class, so not really worried, but still, it's the last one, the major one, and I just generally don't want to hand in crap.

Am really, really sick of German phonology though.

Oh! So, last Friday I finally crawled out of my sickbed and went back to uni for the last colloquium for the semester. It was Jim Higginbotham talking about something complicated to do with tense and logic. Totally incomprehensible. Also - he's a very disconcerting man. And quite rude to people raising questions! I can totally understand why one might be thoroughly intimidated by him, and reflect with horror upon 3 semesters of his semantics classes... Anyway, so after the colloquium there was bar-going as usual (yes, I stuck to lemonade in the wake of illness! how stupid do you think I am?) and the whole encouraging of faculty to come too seems to have thoroughly paid off! I believe that the grad students were actually outnumbered most of the time. Of course, that might have had something to do with the fact that we are all frantically writing final papers... But still. It was good to see, I think - especially once Mike and Andrew started dishing the gossip, and discussing the history of crazy people in the department, both past and present! Very informative. Also, Jeff and Sylvia made noises to the effect that I should think about standing for vice-president of the LingCircle next year. Hm.

So you see? Who says habitual drinking doesn't pay off?

Sadly, haven't been to the gym in a little bit. Last friday was still too delicate, and this week I'm too busy, and staying up late to write papers, which kind of precludes getting up all early... Next week, however, we might try going 4 or 5 mornings instead. And there needs to be some crunches involved, cuz I have total jelly-belly! This is possibly also connected to the habitual drinking... (A guy at a bar once pointed out to me that spirits have less calories than beer, and then was shocked when I asked if he was suggesting I was fat. I think it was a fair question, given that little out-of-the-blue comment!)

Ok, shit, just remembered that I forgot another bloody colloquium report! It's late already... damnit! Well, Simin will have to cope. It's the last thing I need, on top of this bloody phonology paper, all of which has to be written up tonight! Gah! No sleep for me again...

December 11 is the due date for my last piece of work. December 12 is going to be a day of unparalleled joy!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Thinking of you :-)

alex said...

Aww... thanks love! Thinking of you too. With envy, mostly. ;-)