Today, as part of the TA training kerfuffle, I had to go watch the video of myself giving a 5-minute improvised lecture on a non-language-related topic. I talked about keeping pigs.
It was a predictably odd experience, watching a video of myself. I hate photos - this was so much worse! It was particularly interesting because of course I am so conscious of my own accent in this environment, particularly as its been the source of a reasonable amount of discussion between me and... well, almost everyone I meet, really! I've always found the experience of listening to my recorded voice strange, but accent has never been such a salient point before and its shocking how much difference that seems to make to my perception. In high school, doing recordings for drama class, I was appalled at how dreadfully teenaged I sounded. Later, recording messages for voice-mail and the like I would be horrified by how monotone, or serious, or cranky I sounded - or whatever. I've never been so struck by the aussie-ness of my own voice before.
I recall noticing, when Australian actors appear in American films/shows (I refer of course to those rare instances where they maintain their native accents) the qualities of their accents in fairly striking contrast to those around them, but I guess it's a bit more forceful when it's oneself under scrutiny. Still, it's comforting in a way! I've been told numerous times since I arrived here that my accent sounds distinctly British, or at least not very strongly Australian. Just last night I was informed that my accent was considerably different from that of Ben (The Other Aussie) - his was characterised as "more Australian" and mine more "English-sounding". I was in fact beginning to wonder if I was in some way modifying my own speech towards a more 'cultivated' variety because I was so conscious of wanting to be clearly understood, or appear educated or... something. Troubling.
Well, I have put my mind at ease. I watched that tape and I have to say - I don't sound remotely British, or even 'cultivated'. I am, still, pretty damn aussie. Standard AusE, not broad or Ocker, to be sure. But definitely, unmistakably aussie.
These kids just need to get out more. ;-)
5 comments:
I'm glad to hear it!
You've always sounded like a skip to me - you grew up in the c(o)untry after all!
You may be many things Alex, but British and cultivated are not included amongst them. Neither are layer-cake, oblong or aluminium.
Monotone, serious and cranky are up for debate… ;)
OOH! Them's fighting words, Gazza! (Which is not to say that they are in any way inaccurate...)
I note that you waited until there was a safe distance between us to trot out the insults, too!
Oh, although I should point out, for accuracy's sake, that in terms of lineage I am in fact at least partly British. Quite a big part too, really.
;-p
Hey if we were any more British we couldn't talk at all! Gwaph gwaph!
Post a Comment