Monday, September 24, 2007

Youse...

So I think Heidi has decided that I am her official Weird Dialect of English example. She asked me today if I speak a dialect that has things like "My mum gave it me", although surely she can't have been surprised when I did not, since she said it was from certain parts of England. But then she hit me with the "youse" question, and so I said yes... and then was exhorted to "Address us!" So I glanced around the class and OF COURSE the first thing that pops into my head is the Lara Classic: Youse are all a bunch of cuntface motherfuckers!

So there's me hesitating, and everyone laughs thinking I've been hit with a case of dialectal stage fright when I'm just desperately trying to come up with something clean to say!

Ah, fun and games...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is fantastic, Alex! But why didn't you quote me?! (For the record, that particular expression came from Lynds!)

You could've introduced them to the fact that skips swear a lot and that it's not the end of the world... I'm sure they'll work it out soon enough!

So what clean example did you give?

alex said...

Yeah, I know Lynds came up with it first, but you made it your own by using it often and with relish. ;-)

I don't think I've been here long enough to whip out cfmf with impunity in the classroom. For heaven's sake, I think the most daring I got in class at UQ was with the whole "Canberra University Netball Team" anecdote... ;-)

(In the end I just said "Youse all make enough fun of my accent anyway..."

Unknown said...

It's actually a bit long to use most of the time (esp. when driving) but I do like it!

Ah, I remember that anecdote. Sounds like a good name for a sporting team to me!

Maybe you can get them saying "youse". It's so much nicer than "y'all" etc...

alex said...

I'll do my best. I'm all for 'youse' world domination! ;-)

Unknown said...

Cfmf seems a perfectly proto-typical Australian expression to me. I can't understand why you didn't give it them.

Unknown said...

I don't like "cunting". It seems too verb-y for me, and that seems wrong!