Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A perfectly timed pick-me-up.

Today was a blah kind of day, where nothing seems to get accomplished. Even Syntax wasn't really fun... everyone seemed a little down and tired, I had a headache, and there was some confusion over the whole MP approach to the Case Filter.

And then I came home and I had mail!!!!

Most excitingly, I got a package from home with my latest issue of the Australian Journal of Linguistics (since I didn't renew my membership, I'm impressed that they're still sending them to me!), a bunch of *ahem* media-related goodies from Bob, and a photo book that Laena made for me. Not just a regular old album, mind you, a BOOK, a proper, glosssy-papered book with family photos - from old black-and-white ones of my grandparents to pictures from my childhood, to full-colour shots of my nephew... I almost cried. I still might. It's really special.

In more mundane, but still happy-making mail news, I am totally loving the online shopping thing - I also received a whisk I'd ordered (and I defy anyone to convince me that buying a whisk isn't exciting!) and my indulgence for the month, a big kinda floor-pillow thing designed like a 3-sided dinosaur bone, because I spend so much time sitting on my bed reading, or on the laptop, and I needed some back support. It's great so far, much more supportive than a pillow, and keeps me more upright, too.

Of course, all this is making it really easy to be distracted from the evening's boring readings, but still... totally made my day. ;-)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, a whisk is an exciting thing, but nowhere near as exciting as a spatula!

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the book Alex, I was worried it was abit rushed - as I didn't have long to do it. IT was through snapfish.com.au and was much easier and cheaper than when I did that one for Jus. Although, alot of the hard work was already done with the scanned in pics I'd done for her. The reason I didn't have that many of you as a little tyke. Oh and did I get the names right in your graduation pics, I had a fuzzy memory on Lyn?

Unknown said...

I have to say I'm with Lara on this one. Whisks are for nerds. Spatulas for the win!

Jessica said...

I see your spatula and raise you a silicon pastry brush - I defy you to find me something as 1337 as that!

alex said...

Spatulas are the epitome of kitchen cool, but of course I already have the ultimate groovy green spatula courtesy of Lynds and Lara! Hence, whisk... and it's got a funky ergonomic handle and everything! Maybe I'll put a silicone pastry brush on my wishlist, but it just isn't as high on the necessity ladder...

Laena, you got all the names right! Glad it wasn't too much work, but I really really love it!

Unknown said...

I have a silicon pastry brush. Useful, but it's no spatula!

Unknown said...

Who eats silicon pastry? And why would you want to brush it first?

Unknown said...

Ah, Garry!

Sorry to have hijacked your blog, Alex, but this pastry brush & baster looks extremely cool!

alex said...

Ooh, that does look cool! Silicone pastry brush might've just slid a little higher up the Ladder of Kitchen Cool...