Saturday, November 24, 2007

The giving of thanks, and suchlike.

I have decided that I am all in favour of a secular holiday devoted to eating a lot and watching football. Well, I could live without the football. There is of course the slightly awkward historical context - hey, lets thank the Indians for not letting us starve so that we could live to slaughter and subjugate them another day - but on the whole, I approve. I have never seen such a massive feast which involved so little of anything green, however!

Anyway. So Turkey Day was spent with a group of linguists who were staying in town, and without family nearby. It was a beautiful day and we set up in Sylvia's backyard. Amy and Marissa made the most enormous turkey I have ever seen, and there was a lot of general merriment. I maintain that the secret of my pecan pie's success was the Australian Women's Weekly recipe, involving lashings of golden syrup! ;-p (Of course, I'm out now, and will have to make another trip to the 17th St Market to get another stockpile happening.)

I've also caught up on a lot of sleep this weekend, finally, so I'm feeling a bit calmer - possibly undeservedly so - in the face of my HUGE workload for the next couple of weeks. I really really wanted to go to the mall today, since I haven't been to one since early september at best, and there's sales and Xmas shopping to be done... but instead I'm sat in a local coffee shop which has free wireless, slogging through my latest logic assignment. Pushdown Automata and Finite State Transducers, and Pumping Lemma... oh my! :-/

Still. If I suffer through for a bit longer I'm going to treat myself with a nice syntax paper this afternoon! Then tomorrow morning is all about dutch, final obstruent devoicing, and the phonetics/phonology interface... woohoo! Look at me with the exciting life - I know you're all insanely jealous!

I'm also trying REALLY hard not to go order another coffee, this time with accompanying pastry. Must... resist...

Spent the morning catching up on election news. I'm sure you all know my general feelings - I will just say that I am very, very, vindictively happy to see Mal Brough get booted out of his seat. Quite emphatically, too. Damn straight!

Okay, I am going to get that coffee now. And then back to Pumping Lemma or whatever. And surely I'm not the only one who thinks that sounds like a bad porn title???

2 comments:

Beth said...

Yep, bad porn title was the first thing that came to my mind when I read that ;-)

alex said...

Knew I could count on you!
;-p