Jacarandas. They'd be well and truly in bloom by now, right? I could really stand to see some pretty, coloured trees about now. Don't get me wrong, the cactii are cool - but they're not exactly pretty.
Merlo's ham breakfast paninis. YUM! (There's very little in the way of good, fast, breakfast food around here. Woe.)
Merlo's iced coffees. Even iced lattes are just not as fun here. It's basically just cold coffee. I miss the sweet, fattening, icecream-filled guilt-inducing confections!
Heading back to West End, standing at the front of the CityCat, just as it hits twilight. When the water is getting shadowed and the city lights are just starting to flicker on.
Walking along the river at Orleigh park, with dogs and kids and people twirling fire and what have you. Here, campus is the closest thing to a park nearby! There's often dog walkers, and on Fridays a bunch of shirtless posers practising walking on ropes. But it's not the same - the lack of river is particularly telling... ;-)
Oh yeah, you know what else I miss? HAVING A MID-SEMESTER BREAK!!!
(Not that I'm bitter and grumpy about that, at all....)
7 comments:
Ah merlo. I'm going to miss them too. For the last few weeks I pretty much made 4 trips down to them, what with coffees and lunch and sometimes breakfast and morning tea too. I'm amazed Courtney and Rose never busted me with coffee - I picked my desk well, cause I could see them coming up the stairs so I hid it. Still, they're pretty sneaky sometimes. I was so scared of Coffee Karma - I thought I'd spill coffee all over my laptop cause I was being naughty having it in the library.
The jacarandas were great this year. Down at the lakes it was almost as if the light was purple. Very pretty. Oh, and there were ducklings too!
Do you get any pretty wildflowers?
Ducklings!! Awww...
I haven't seen much in the way of wildflowers... now that the weather's cooling down some they've started planting flowers in some of the beds around campus, but it's still a lot heavier on the cactii, generally. ;-)
Yes, I well remember being at Merlo 4 times a day, knowing every single employee by name, and being able to rank them in terms of how strong they made the iced coffees... Good times!
Even though I'm closer to home than when I lived in England, it's harder to get Aussie food here. Running low on vegemite (but I've found some Aussies who have taken pity on me and have offered to give me one of their 8 tubes), still can't find decent meat pies, no one knows what musk sticks are (nor how good musk stick infused vodka tastes), and come to think of it, most lollies I want can't be found.
Oh yeah, and I miss my family, my friends and MID-SEMESTER BREAKS!! What is wrong with this crazy continent???
Hey Al
Mum said you had some xmas wish list on the blog somewhere? Can't find it!
Huh. I haven't had musk sticks in years... Musk stick infused vodka, you say? I'm intrigued!
Laena - look on the righthand side, under links. ;-)
yeah found it - we have some of those TV series (lets recycle!)so you may not want to buy them.
Jacarandas give me the wiggins. Stoopid exams. Don't the cacti have funny little flowers that look like they've been glued on? Meh
Post a Comment