Tuesday, September 11, 2007

$$$$$$$!!!!

I GOT PAID!!

Finally - I'm so relieved! Of course, they taxed the crap out of it, and I haven't yet worked out to have a portion of my credit transferred from my Bursar's account to my debit account... but still! Money!

17 comments:

Beth said...

Yay for money!!

Anonymous said...

"they taxed the crap out of it" - I love it!!

Glad to see you're not one of those Australians who spend 5 minutes in the US and go all linguistically yankicised.

alex said...

Hell no, Ren, I consider it my mission to shove my ausssie-isms down the throat of every american I meet. ;-)

Beth said...

Oh, here's a phrase that stumps every Canadian I try it on, "much of a muchness". Try that one out!

Unknown said...

Money is always good. This Website already knows my name is Garry. How? I'm a bit frightened.

Way to be dialectically strong! Cobber-wally-dingdong-Gabba mate!

alex said...

It knows, because you have a gmail account, and this is a google-run site, Gaz.

I am all about the dialectal empowerment. For instance, despite much chiding, I flat-out refuse to say 'trash' when I mean rubbish, or 'trashcan' when I mean bin. They can bloody well learn to understand me. And I'm slowly educating them on the whole cookie/biscuit/dumpling/scone mess as well... ;-)

Unknown said...

Surely they can't think a dumpling is a biscuit? How??

alex said...

Dumpling is as close as I can get to their idea of 'biscuit', which seems to be some kind of savoury scone-like thing that goes with gravy... Very weird.

Jessica said...

Remember Bohemian Bagel in Prague? They had 'biscuits and gravy' and we though it was tres weird. Same kind of thing I imagine. One of us really should have tried it...

alex said...

You're right, of course Jess... should have made the experiment just to see how different they were from either the bread or potato dumplings we got with our goulash or rabbit stew respectively.

Unknown said...

While I haven't seen a 'biscuit' in the flesh, I was under the impression they were what we would call a 'scone'. To me, a dumpling would never have a crust...

alex said...

But to me, a scone would never be savoury, and you would most certainly not put gravy with it! Ugh!

Unknown said...

Funny you should mention biscuits and gravy because I just recently read this recipe on a food blog:

http://tinyurl.com/2l6uw3

Looks at least 13 kinds of disgusting doesn't it?

alex said...

Woe! I cannot follow your link - and I am desperately curious to see what biscuits and gravy look like! (They certainly SOUND disgusting!)

Unknown said...

I think savoury scones are quite acceptable - kinda like a savoury muffin is ok. But I have seen the site Ren mentioned, and biscuits and gravy just look just WRONG! (NO, BAD, WRONG!) Not that that would stop me from trying them, given the chance! Here's the link Ren sent me (I'll try to make it clicky, excuse my lack of HTML skills):
Biscuits and Gravy!

Alex, I think every comment I make on your blog will be about food. No surprises there...

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the link Lara - clearly your hmtl skillz are better than mine :-/

Can't help but feel slightly queasy every time I see those photos - especially the rendered fat. Bleeurgh!

Unknown said...

No probs Ren! (BTW - when I tried to copy and paste the link it didn't like it at all - it just ran off the side of the page. Hence the html...)

Those pics make me shudder too! But I just had a greasy kebab for late lunch, so it shouldn't worry me...